Turn the Bad Fairy Tale of Infertility Into a Pass for Good Behavior
I’m tired of it. Are you tired of it? All the things you don’t get to do while trying to conceive.
The list is long and the items on it make us irritable, crabby, less happy, resentful, tired, sad. The list goes on and on.
Less coffee. No alcohol. No recreational drugs. Less intense exercise. Fewer planned vacations. Less intimate contact with your closest friends because they sometimes say such unhelpful things. No baby showers for us yet. No first smiles, yet. Very little privacy down there in the nether regions. More exercise than you would like or less.
Infertility – A Bad Fairy Tale
It’s like being caught in a bad fairy tale. Where you’re Snow White and half the dwarves rolled into one. And not the fun dwarves either. All the work and no play dwarves make us women (and men) irritable and oh, so much less fun than we used to be. Grumpy fits pretty darn well, right?
I had an idea. A pass for something you’d rather not do in exchange for everything you don’t get to do right now.
- No glass of wine tonight = no having to cook dinner
- No cup of regular, caffeinated coffee filled to the brim = no vacuuming
- No sugary, calorie laden desert = no trip to the dry cleaner
- No planned vacation because you might be in a fertility cycle/pregnant/or need a procedure = 1 night out at the theatre/concert of your choice
- No marathon running because it’s too extreme = 1 pedicure/manicure
- One procedure that you would just really rather not do = 1 conversation that you do not have to have repeating the same moronic things over again (i.e. “No, we don’t have children yet.” “Yes, we would like to have children someday” “No, I never considered having sex, is that what you have to do to get pregnant?”)
Treating Yourself During Fertility Treatment
I mean it!
Every single time you have to say no to something because of fertility treatment, pick a GREAT BIG YES that you do get to say.
Let’s turn Grumpy into Happy.
Let’s turn this icky fairy tale on its head.
Here’s how I’ll start.
Dinner out after Fertile Yoga in Bethel tonight with anyone who would like to join me. Laughter, no work.
Who’s joining me tonight?
About Lisa Rosenthal
Lisa has over thirty years of experience in the fertility field. After her personal infertility journey, she felt dissatisfied with the lack of comprehensive services available to support her. She was determined to help others undergoing fertility treatment. Lisa has been with RMACT for eleven years and serves as Patient Advocate and the Strategic Content Lead.
Lisa is the teacher and founder of Fertile Yoga, a program designed to support men and women on their quest for their families through gentle movement and meditation.
Lisa’s true passion is supporting patients getting into treatment, being able to stay in treatment and staying whole and complete throughout the process. Lisa is also a Certified Grief Recovery Specialist, which is helpful in her work with fertility patients.
Her experience also includes working with RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association and The American Fertility Association (now Path2Parenthood), where she was Educational Coordinator, Conference Director and Assistant Executive Director.